Enhancing The Integrity of Tropical Rainforest of Sumatera through Ecotourism Development
This activity is part of UNESCO’s initiative to strengthen the commitment of the Indonesian Government in managing Tropical Rain Forest Heritage of Sumatra (TRHS). The general objective is to enhance the integrity of three national parks within TRHS area, which are Mount Leauser National Park, Kerinci Seblat National Park, Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park, through ecotourism development.
Primary outputs of the action includes:
• THRS ecotourism master plan
• Site plan of Gunung Tujuh tourism, attraction at Kerinci National Park
• Dissemination of TRHS ecotourism, master plan at Gunung Leuser NP, Bukit barisan Selatan NP, and Kerinci Seblat NP, as well as national level;
• Material promotion such as posters, brochure of ecotourism TRHS, which are distributed at 3 NPs and several
• Knowledge of tourism stakeholder in three (3) national parks on sustainable tourism were increased;
Some recommendations from the study had been implemented by Kerinci Seblat National Park management including the development of signage in Gunung Tujuh and Sungai Penuh. Sign board about code of ethics before entering the park also helps tourists to understand the Do’s and Don’t’s of their visit in the park. Recommendations on capacity building program from this study had been implemented by UNESCO at Kerinci Seblat National Park and Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park.